Tenryuji is Rinzai Buddhism Temple located in Arashiyama, Kyoto. The former temple was Danrinji Zen Temple. After it was abandoned, the imperial palace was constructed.
In 1339, 1st Muromachi Shogun Ashikaga Takauji and priest Muso established Tenryuji to dedicated Emperor Godaigo. The budget of the construction of this temple was provided by the profit from international trading between China. This trade was called Tenryuji-bune. The construction finished in 1344. It was classed the top of Five great temples of Kyoto. Historically, Tenryuji was involved in many war and lost the buildings many times. Most of the buildings are reconstructed in Meiji Period. It was designated as the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994.
It is a Japanese garden with a pond. Priest Muso designed this garden with a pond. The scenery used Mt. Arashiyama as the background, and the walk surrounds a pond, Togenchi. It remains the original view of Muromachi Period. This garden is also registered as the Special National Scenic Beauty, and national historic Site. It has splendid view with Koyo of Arashiyama during Autumn.
Built in 1899. The Daruma painting of Kuri is very famous and the symbol of Tenryuji. It represent Zen.
Hojo(方丈) main hall
Built in 1899. It is the largest building in Tenryuji. The principal image of Tenryuji was placed here. It was made in late Heian Period.
Flower gardens located at northern temple. There are many beautiful seasonable flowers. It leads to north exit where also leads to the famous bamboo walk and Sagano area.
Official Web Site:http://www.tenryuji.com/index.html